UPDATE: Bishop's Blazin' Breakfast Shoe got Second Place! See video below!
In celebration of this weekend's Illinois Department of Agriculture's Illinios Products Expo, I'm taking part in a "Celebrity Cooking Contest" with a goal of using some ingredients that will be found at this weekend's expo. Find the recipe I'll cook today below:
Bishop's Blazin' Breakfast Shoe
Made entirely from Illinois products purchased at Country Market in Springfield.
Below recipe serves four
One skillet, heat source, toaster, spatula, small bowl, cheese grater, four plates, four hungry persons
- 4 eggs,
- 8 oz. of Canterbury Premium Meats Pork Sausage (Petersburg, IL),
- 4 cups of fresh Suttil's Greenhouse Spinach (Springfield, IL),
- 6 oz of Ludwig Farmstead Creamery Jake's Wheel Habanero cheese (Fithian, IL) *appearing at this weekend's expo
- 4 slices of Homestead Bakery Cheesy Garlic Bread (Arthur, IL) *appearing at this weekend's expo
- 4 oz of Kathy's Kitchen Mexican Salsa (Virginia, IL)
Estimated calories per serving: 700. (No bread, 630)
- Rinse spinach and tear into smaller pieces, set aside.
- Grate cheese into small bowl, set aside.
- Make four sausage patties, set aside.
|Greg Bishop holding his winning recipe|
- Start by heating the skillet to medium heat. Add four patties made from Canterbury Premium Meats Pork Sausage (Petersburg, IL) patties to the skillet. Cook evenly on both sides.
- Begin toaster for four slices of Homestead Bakery Cheesy Garlic Bread (Arthur, IL).
- Remove and set aside cooked sausage.
- Add rinsed Suttil’s Greenhouse Spinach (Springfield, IL) to skillet and allow to soften slightly.
- Add grated Ludwig Farmstead Creamery Jake's Wheel Habanero Cheese (Fithian, IL) to the pan. Allow cheese to melt slightly. Add eggs to pan with cheese and spinach and scramble eggs in pan. Cook eggs with cheese and spinach, stirring regularly.
- Lay down toast. On top of the toast add cooked sausage patti, then spinach, eggs and cheese.
- Finally, place 2 ounces of Kathy's Kitchen Mexican Salsa (Virginia, IL) on each open faced sandwich and serve.
Enjoy Bishop's Blazin' Breakfast Shoe!
Estimated cost of 6 servings $27